Friday, March 30, 2012

Wow, almost a year...

Wow, it has been almost a year since I entered a post. I bet my loyal reader has even left me!

No worries. Here's the deal. In the past year we've adopted a baby, been out of a house for a while due to a tornado, been really busy at work doing just normal day to day stuff and well.... I kind of forgot to write.

Here is a nugget for today, however.

Sometimes inaction is the best action.

That sounds really odd. But think about it. Have you ever made good decisions in a rush with limited information? Have you ever said or done something in the heat of the moment that you wish you could take back?

It has been a tale of two days for me this week. The first day, I acted upon impulse I meddled with a long running SQL Job because it was blocking/being blocked and decided that it was hung up and I could kill it and re-run it.

That took hours... 6 hours to be exact. 3 hours just to roll back....

Today, the same job had a similar issue. I threw my hands up, backed away from the keyboard and went to the gym. By the time I got to the office, not only had the job finished, the server had caught up on its backlog.

I believe, in the first instance had I just walked away, the problem would have worked its self out.

Of course, now I have to dig into why this job is taking longer, and tweak it. But that can be a measured approach, and won't cause any down time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home