Wednesday, December 30, 2009

MTL or VAS memory Pressure

So I've been re-combating my VAS memory issue (also called MTL or Mem To Leave). It was to the point that I opened a ticket up with Microsoft. Then one of my developers alerted me to the fact that a new system was put in place about the same time the issue happened, and that the server was creating (and closing) 46 or so connections to the SQL Server per second.

That is a lot of connections.

The system was shut off and all of the sudden my VAS memory pressure eased. What I ended up with, however, is a set of queries that can aid in trouble shooting this sort of error, and was plenty of information for Microsoft's tech support to help me focus in on where the error was.

All of that said, I am going to continue down the path with Microsoft because I need to guard against this sort of issue in the future.

I am going to work on packaging the entire diagnostic script (and maybe if you are good a .rdl of the graphical report I use to track it all)

Now, this script will utilize some Red Gate SQL Backup XP's so it won't be as useful for non-red gate users. I will make 2 versions the full blown Red Gate version and a 'stripped down' non red gate version.

The main difference? I have a (cobbled together) SSRS report that shows me trends of data collection for various memory segments that is from a XP that ships with Red Gate SQL Backup.

So the lesson learned? I have a lot more stuff I need to monitor and log. I'm sure all the seasoned DBA's out there already knew this but it is a good thing to know and to keep track of!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home