Friday, December 11, 2009

Happy TC Day!

Today I mockingly celebrate a 'pivotal' day in my companies IT Shop history. You see, I am the first person hired to be full time in our shop. Prior to that our company had brought in a contracting company who used 3 offshore teams.

2 years ago today there were 2 of us in the department and we were making a hiring decision. The model we were choosing was up in the air, so we were looking for a jack of all trades who can program, do SQL and most importantly do Business Analsys work. So we brought in 2 candidates. I didn't like either, but time was of the essense. So I picked TC from the litter and so did the other IT guy.

So TC came into our shop for 3 glorious days. He met with a couple of our CXO's to get the feel for the company, he setup his laptop. He played with his iPhone. He started a half-arsed data dictionary, then, on Friday (after starting on Wednesday) our schedule was light enough that we decided to go grab lunch in his honor.

He had other plans. He told us he had "Insurance" papers to sign, and we never saw him again. After 2.5 days of being in the office, and giving nothing to the company he had the recruiter call us and tell us that she would drop off his company issued laptop.

That changed our direction. We decided to take more time on interviewing people. We also decided to start moving away from offshore and we built a dedicated dev team and I celebrate this day because of the man who had the gall to be a more dishonrable person than I have run into in my professional career.

Thank you TC for showing me how not to behave!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home